|Get the Book
Delivered to Your Door!
Painting Merit Badge Requirements
|1) Explain the proper safety procedures to follow when preparing surfaces and applying coatings.
2) Do the following:
A) Explain three ways that coatings can improve a surface.
B) Explain the differences between oil-based paints and water-basted paints.
C) Explain where you would apply enamel paint, flat paint, wood stain, and varnish, and explain the importance of sheen.
D) Tell why each is best for these uses.
3) Prepare and paint two different surfaces using patching material, caulking, and proper primers and topcoats. Suggested projects include an interior or exterior wall, a door, a piece of furniture, a concrete wall or floor, a porch rail, or a fence. Your counselor must pre-approve the projects.
4) Prepare and paint an item using harmonizing colors that you have created by tinting white base paint. (Use the color wheel in the center of this book).
5) Show the right way to use, clean, maintain, and store painting equipment.
6) Explain the importance of ladder safety, environmental responsibility, and personal hygiene when painting.
7) Explain some of the environmental and health issues concerning removing paint, applying paint, and discarding old paint.
8) Discuss with your counselor the various career opportunities associated with the painting trade.
Source: Boy Scout Requirements, 33215, revised 2004