TitleHotwheels Building Method
CategoryBuilding the Vehicle
CommentThis is a great way to help kids learn about the design and building process.
My boys may not always win the speed trophies, but using this method they never fail to get compliments, "ooh's" and "aah's" from the other scouts and adults for their cool-looking cars.
1) Have them select a favorite toy car (Matchbox or Hotwheels cars work really well for this.)
2) Trace the shape of the pinewood derby block onto a piece of paper. Be sure to do the side, back, and front views.
3) Have the scout look at the car, and sketch its outline onto the paper, modifying it as necessary to fit in the pinewood derby block shape.
4) Kids will usually need to try a couple different times to get it just right.
5) Finally, have them cut out the paper and glue it to the block. The paper will work as a template for sawing.
Click here to report possible copyright violations.